The Veterans Memorial Center, Inc. was formed in March 1989 to create,
maintain and operate an institution to honor and perpetuate the memories of all men and women
who have served in the Armed Forces of the United States of America.
The Veterans Museum & Memorial Center was chartered to serve five
categories of function:
- Serve as a host to programs that perpetuate the memories of deceased
veterans or members of the United States Armed Forces and to comfort their survivors.
- Serve as a home for programs for charitable, scientific, literary or
educational purposes that promote public awareness concerning the sacrifices and
contributions of men and women who serve and have served in the Armed forces.
- Serve as a venue for services and social and recreational activities for
veterans, active duty personnel, and the general public, which are compatible with other
purposes of the Veterans Museum & Memorial Center.
- Serve as a the regular meeting place for many of the San Diego region's
veterans and active-duty military organizations.
- Serve as a museum presenting permanent, rotating and visiting exhibits
of patriotic, military and war-related memorabilia, artifacts, photographs, and other
The site chosen for the location of the Veterans Museum & Memorial Center
was the former San Diego Naval Hospital Chapel at Inspiration Point in Balboa Park, part of a
complex of architecturally significant buildings with rich historical connections to the San
Diego region's naval heritage.
The museum is open Tuesday through Sunday from 10:00 A.M. to 4:00 P.M.
- $5 for General Adult Admission
- $4 for Veterans and Seniors ($65+)
- $2 for Students with Valid I.D.
- Free Admission for:
- Museum Members,
- Active Duty Military and their Dependents,
- and Children 12 and under.
Board of Directors
Will Hays, Chairman of the Board
Rear Admiral Rod Melendez, USN/Ret., Executive Director
Abe Shragge, Ph.D.
Robert Cardenas (Emeritus)
Robert Cox (Emeritus)
Rear Admiral Rod Melendez, USN/Ret.
Executive Director Veterans Museum and Memorial Center
|Tim Smith, American Legion
|Pearl Harbors Survivors Association
|American Merchant Marines
|Vietnam Veterans of America, Chapter 472
|Veterans of Foreign Wars
|Fleet Reserve Association 312
|Air Force Sgts Association
|UCSD Academic Internship Program